Direct Brain Access

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Periyappa: A man beyond labels

Words & Phrases deserts us when I want to describe periyappa.

Anytime my appa talks about his beloved brother. He cannot stop having the pride in his voice. Narration about their escapades to watch sivaji movies are fun to hear every time. Even when I talk to him now, I hear the same pride..."Amma will tell that Rajamani will get anything done somehow".

Boxes and boxes of singadas and rasgulla's he bought for all the kids during our summer visits are not the only reasons kids love them. He was their true friend and he treated them as one.
I am sure Bathri, Vijay, Krishna and other kids has much more vivid memories of Periyappa making them feel special.

He is a true path breaker and did lot of firsts in the family:
- first to travel abroad,
- first to act in play (none other than Balachander's Server sundaram - lead role)
- first salesman - and a amazing one at it
- first to enter stock market
and many more..

He is a all rounder in its truest sense. His courage, guts, love and sense of humor are infectious.
In this time of remembrance I wish we all get the courage. As patti would say, He can get things done anywhere, and I am sure he will do the same in heaven too.

How will you label a great man who epitomised free spirit and lived life to its fullest?
I call him Periyappa!

5 Comments:

  • It was a sudden news and as Prem said in his tribute, it is hard to describe Periappa in words.

    "Vaa ya Jamesu" is how he used call the youngsters fondly. Periappa's humour, his pan-spitting exuberance and his dramatic way to speaking were extremely endearing and it is the image I will always have of him.

    Even today, when my appa meets someone in Chennai with a Calcutta connection, he says I'm Rajamani's brother. That often immediately rings a bell for most people. Thats how well known Periappa was.

    There have been numerous anecdotes of Periappa, including ones I have heard from our Patti, Vijayam atthai and of course the brothers. Whenever something spoken about him, there was always something to smile about. He was this mischievous yet lovable person.

    Very special. And to be remembered that way ...

    -Vijay

    By Blogger BrainWaves, At 10:40 PM  

  • The news came as a big shock to all of us. I was always been his closest buddy or I should say, he made me feel in such a way, couldn't digest the news.
    His heroic act during the school days is still fresh in mind for many people in Kalakurchi.
    After so many years even today people enquire about perriappa when we visit Kalakurchi he was such an attracting personality were ever he stay.

    adding to the firsts list
    he was the one whom I know in our family who dare to have french beard and some heroic look.

    Apart from being a periappa to me, he was special to me as he was my father during my "Uppanayanam"


    - Bathri

    By Blogger srikrish, At 10:41 PM  

  • Rajmani mama as I know him - its hard to describe him. He was a dynamic ALL ROUNDER.

    He had his peculiar style of doing things that was refreshingly inspiring.

    I remember my mom telling me about her Kallakurchi childhood of how he used to get her new clothes and crackers on the morning of diwali and year after year he never let her down.


    I remember his hand kerchief dance in one of the weddings that got a special mention in every other wedding to come. Any time we visit Calcutta during summer, he always used to get us lots and lotsa Rosgullas and Singadas that we all were so crazy about.

    He was an amazing narrator. Myself, Vijay & Badri used to take turns in giving him back massages on Vijay's egmore house motta maadi. There he would vividly narrate incidents from his Gulf country visits and drama troop experiences. We felt like we were in the middle of all the action just listening to him.

    We'll miss him.

    Krishna.

    By Blogger srikrish, At 10:42 PM  

  • Rajamani Periappa

    Whatever was there on my mind about Periappa has been elaborated by Prem,Vijay, Bathri and Krishna.

    But then, I have fond remembrances which I would definitely like others to know. His sense of humour was always amazing. As a young kid, I was afraid of Rajamani Periappa. I remember looking at his photos of Kartik's birthday where he sported a french beard. But then, Periappa used to tell me stories about the "Muyal and Singam" in the forest and always used to fall asleep in the middle. I used to wake him up and he would again resume telling it.
    I would always associate Periappa with "Mehta House" from where I used to get him, the "Raja Babu"( as he was known among the panwallah's and other people) kaa Paan. I know he was so very fond of having the paaan. He would ask me to get a paan and then also give me some chocolate as commission. He would ask me not to tell periamma that I bought the paakku for him.
    I even now vividly remember, he would ask me, "Dei ivaney!! Nee South Point high School lla dhaaney padikkaraai?" and I would say, periappa adhu class X varaikkum dhaan.Naan ippo Class XII.
    i used to go to the cricket training academy when I was in school and it so happened one day that I had a severe stomach ache and I was not able to walk. When I came up to the 2nd floor on 29 B Lake Temple Road, there was Periappa who was ready to make fun of me.
    He always was the dynamic man, the Krishnan family's "Raj Kapoor" as I used to call him.
    I will always miss you periappa..........

    -Sunil

    By Blogger srikrish, At 10:42 PM  

  • Rajamani Periappa,

    Each of us have had different experiences with periappa and still there is an ocean of things that can be told about him.whatever Prem,Vijay,Bathri,Krishna and Sunil has expressed would just be one one drops in the ocean.He is such a different person that you can keep talking about him..and always there is something to feel nice and happy.

    Eventhough I have not had much Interactions with him,Vijay did because he always used to buy paan for periappa .Whenever periappa used to come to our home in Vadapalani during the vacation time,He
    would always not remember my name...and he used to call me..." Di Ponney...Inga Vaadi"...that still sounds loud in my mind whenever I think of him.I hope Vijay too remembers this story where periappa
    did monoacting....in which he was supposed to be released from the coffin box,since he acted like a dead person,but his co-actor locked the coffin box without knowing that he was inside...The way he acted
    and showed us was so brilliant..... and so enjoyable.....I felt like a drama was going on live.As everybody says"He was an Real Entertainer" and a Pioneer in our family....

    We can keep adding a whole list of things to talk about him.....and It will never end......

    We Undoubtedly Miss you Periappa!!!

    -Hema

    By Blogger srikrish, At 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home